The Crowhurst Christian Healing Centre was opened in 1928 and stands on the edge of the village of Crowhurst in East Sussex. The house, The Old Rectory, built on a gentle hillside, has distant views of the sea and is set in beautiful countryside among trees and fields.
The attractive and historic town of Battle is three miles away. Battle Abbey marks the place where Harold died at the battle of Hastings in 1066, a very significant event in English and European history. (back to top)
Our Ministry Team and Staff
We are a group of people who are inspired by the ministry and person of Jesus to bring His healing and wholeness to the Body of Christ and all God's people.
Our Senior Chaplain is Rev'd Steve Gendall who was appointed in September 2012, having previously lived and ministered in Zimbabwe to a diversity of congregations, from villagers hearing the gospel for the first time under their mango trees, to company executives responsible for multi-national interests in the area. In 2002 he and his wife felt God leading them to move their family to England, where for the last 10 years he has been the Vicar of the United Benefice of Lingfield and Crowhurst in the Diocese of Southwark. For full information on our Senior Chaplain please click here.
Steve Clark is our Deputy Chaplain and he has extensive experience in the healing ministry, having been Chaplain and later Senior Chaplain at Burrswood from 2001 until 2007. Prior to that he worked in parishes and for three years was Warden at the Scargill House Christian Conference Centre. For full information on our Deputy Chaplain please click here.
The Chaplaincy Team consists of full-time and part-time members, supported by several Visiting Chaplains, and has considerable experience of prayer-based healing ministry. Most are ordained members of the Anglican, United Reformed or Methodist Churches, or the Salvation Army.
We also have a staff team who are responsible for administration, housekeeping, catering, site maintenance and the gardens.
The activities of the Centre are overseen by a Board of
Trustees, chaired by Rev'd Colin Crook. Our President is
Rt Rev'd Nicholas Reade, Bishop of Blackburn.
(back to top)
Our accommodation and facilities
There are 19 comfortable bedrooms, six of which are twin-bedded. Most of the rooms are south-facing with good views of the gardens and surroundings. Most of the rooms have en-suite facilities, and the remainder are situated close to a bath or shower room. Eight of the rooms are on the ground floor. All bed-linen and towels are provided, and tea and coffee-making facilities are provided in each room.
There is a large comfortable lounge overlooking the garden, a dining room, a library, an art room and ground floor cloakroom facilities.
There are two chapels. The main chapel, built in 1966, has space for 70 people and is used for the regular healing services. The smaller chapel, which dates back to the earliest days of the Healing Centre, is frequently used for daily services.
The house is set in attractive gardens with views of the surrounding fields and woodlands, and a large natural fishpond. It features a prayer walk with stations to aid meditation and reflection.
All accommodation is full board. Meals are freshly prepared on site and include a varied choice. Special dietary requirements can be accommodated by prior arrangement.
There is on-site space for parking up to 20 cars with additional temporary parking space at busy times such as healing services.
Mobile Phones: We ask that you switch your mobile to silent while in the house and chapel.
There is a designated area to use mobiles within the house 'the sun corridor'. Mobiles are not to be used in the bedrooms as the walls are thin!
Laptops: Please be aware that guests cannot use the office computers to access the internet or their email. However, guests can bring their own personal lap top and there is a designated area within the house which has internet access cable – this is in 'the library'. Please note that there is no Wi-Fi available.(back to top)
The Healing Centre relies on charitable donations to supplement the payments for accommodation and minimise the costs of teaching and training. We are extremely grateful for the financial support of our friends, through regular giving and one-off donations, including Gift Aid for tax payers. We are also grateful for the receipt of bequests and legacies.
If your feel able to support us in any of these ways, please contact us on 01424 830204. (back to top)
To see our recent magazines, click here
The story of the Healing Centre at Crowhurst begins with James Moore Hickson, who felt called by God to revive the ministry of healing in the Anglican Church. In 1925, Mr Hickson met the Rev’d Howard Cobb and was invited to take a mission in his church at Mill Hill, London. Before it could take place Howard Cobb contracted sleeping sickness and was close to death. Mr Hickson laid hands on the sick man and within the day he began to recover. During his period of convalescence Howard Cobb felt called by the Lord into the healing ministry.
In 1928 Howard Cobb became Rector of St George's, Crowhurst, while taking in guests in need of restoration and healing at the Rectory. He soon discovered that it was impossible to do both jobs, so in 1930 he resigned as Rector and with his wife, May, bought the Rectory and gave himself full time to the work of healing.
Rev’d George Bennett took over as Warden in 1958. The story of the Centre’s subsequent renewal is told in his book ‘Miracle at Crowhurst’. A new accommodation wing was completed in 1962 and the present Chapel was consecrated in 1966. (back to top)
For more information about the history of the Old Rectory and the Healing Ministry at Crowhurst, click here